Thursday, March 13, 2008

Huatulco and relaxing

Thursday, I think.

We've been enojying a little harbor just around the corner from the real commercial marina in Huatulco, but it's quiet. We are just off the beach in a cove of about 5 different resorts, one of which is a Las Brisas(formerly club med). It's a bit rolly, but for a 60 ton girl like Astor it is nothing. We get buzzed by jetskis and the occasional "guest" catamaran funboat and we had a local on a paddleboard come out and say he likes us out here because the guests like the pretty sailboat to look at. Neat. Sometimes we hear their bingo caller, and dance music drifting on the wind all the way out here into the wee hours, but methinks it could be worse.

Internet has been spotty for me because my wifi card has been quite the picky little thing(and that's being nice). I've lost a few reports due to a lost connect and I've come very close to seeing how many times it will skip across the harbor - Oh well. time for another marguerita. Richard has a new antenna and card that pretty much gets him access whenever he wants and I can't let him get away with that. I'm still working on mine and seems like a few bugs are chased away. I can see about 20 different nodes, but all are secure for guests, but every now and then there are two that appear that we can get into. That is when I can post.

We are here for fuel, which we will get tomorrow. and reports on how the winds are acting in the Golfo de Tehuantepec. That is our next big jump. For now we enjoy a good book on deck, the occasional chore, or a run into town.

Yesterday we were treated to a few shows by the local water critters. For some reason there are baby manta rays that just love jumping out of the water. They land with a big belly flop but they keep doing it again and again, sometimes two at a time. This morning, we were surrounded by a hundred little jelly fish. They were quite mesmerizing to watch. Paula wouldn't let me poke at them tho.

Today, we did the town. It's not too far (like a mile) and Amit, Paula and I hoofed it just for the exercise. We found it full of life and the people amazingly friendly. Once we figured out the town 'centro' we had it all. We bought some bread treats for tomorrow (a big bag of assorted styles) for under 4 bucks, stopped in a sidewalk shop and had a great lunch and beers, wandered around for several blocks and found a fresh fruit shop and got some limes, stopped in for some ice-cream in the park centro, and took a taxi home for a couple of bucks. We wanted to go check out the church, but the guy closed the doors right when we were walking up to it. What is he tryig to say?

Neat town. One would need a week to explore all the little shops and side streets. What a day.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Somewhere in there you should say, "This is the life."

Gol.

Thanks for continuing to post so we can see what you're up to.

:)

Anonymous said...

I was a guest at Las Brisas this past week and certainly did enjoy having the "pretty sailboat to look at"! It made our scenic photographs all the more spectacular!

I was intrigued by the boat and wanted to see if I could learn a little more about it - I was happy to find your web site, particularly your log and reference to Huatulco. What a life you must have! Sail on!

Unknown said...

Hey thanks any.
I'm glad others get to enjoy the boat, altho only briefly, but hopefully you will come back from time to time to check up on Astor's travels. This is why she continues to travel and not sit at a dock.

I can only imagine how many he has touched in her 85 years.

And yes, I realize my fortune of present.