Thursday, November 18, 2010

Still Up on the Ropes!

It's quite staggering how the days sometimes start out. I am learning this in no way reflects on how the rest of the day pans out at all. Yesterday it was the most calm and boring sunrise of yet and I had high hopes of great things getting done. After a normal glance upwind showed no pending doom, I hoisted myself halfway up the foremast to where I left off the day before. 

I had about 30 minutes then sprinkles turned my dust making skills into a bunch of mud smears. I had full intentions of just staying up and weathering the sprinkle until I turned around.  Judging by the fact that I couldn't see the end of the bay I decided this was no minor cloud passing over! I just had enough time to speed drop to the deck(which was kinda fun and I hope someone was watching) and run around to close down all the skylights. I marveled at the fury for a while and was trying to figure where in the world this came from when it stopped. That was it? Nope... the showers came back about 20 mins later. This sequence went on for a half day making it pretty much impossible to get any work done. There would be an hour break and things would start drying off so I'd gear up again and PSSSSHHHHT! The others around on the dock were blaming me for the rain since they noted it started every time I tried to go up the mast again. I'm starting to get the idea that when the forecast calls for 30% chance of showers that means it will rain for 30% of the day! (but only in 5 minute increments).

This was not the case today. A totally insane /explosive sunrise greeted my half open eyelids and tho I had doubts, I got to work anyway. It turns out it would have been an awesome day to do some varnishing. There was only a slight sprinkle in the morning and that was all. It WOULD have been awesome for varnishing but I was not ready. I am about a day off I guess, but I did manage to get to the bottom of the foremast so I'm ready for it now. I sure need a couple more of those please!

1 comment:

flyingvan said...

Well, if you are still sans-camera, you'll have to get all Ernest Hemingway on us and paint verbal pictures instead. Or at least varnish them.