Friday, November 12, 2010

Chasing the Teak Thing

For the past couple of days I've been waking up in a very familiar bunk, but due to its very nature it has a habit of not necessarily being in the same place as one leaves it. After 15 hours of transit, 4500 miles and 4 time zones I finally caught up with it.

Today I found it in Grenada- Clarks Court Bay Marina to be exact. (yes- I had to look it up too)

My commute went perfectly as planned. Other than not getting enough sleep on the plane, all exchanges of transport went without hiccup. Finally arriving at my destination(well after dark) the boat was thoughtfully lit up nicely so I had no problem finding it. Unpacking, I had originally thought my bags were rifled somewhere along the line and a few key baubles were removed by someone that helped themselves, but all items have turned up in one corner of my luggage or another. My faith in the baggage handlers has been restored.

I am currently busy finding my way around down here. It takes a bit to actually settle in and learn how it all works. Today I jumped aboard the weekly bus into town. Not that I needed anything just yet but I wanted to get a grip on where everything was. I did manage to pick up some limes for my rummers and a few other things tho. We're all good.

Don't fool yourself for one minute thinking this is some sort of cushy kick-back lounge platform kind of deal. I have resumed my duties as XO of all-things-needing-varnish-up-high(that don't really matter), as well as "swabbe that makes things shiny". It's not an easy gig.
Today (after the bus cruise social event) I worked on the shady side of the boat until it wasn't shady any longer. I managed to kill three rags and only caught up on 2 of the 6 winch drums.

Filbert was pleased with this shine. (You can't tell from this pic but his tail is wagging.)

As the weather back home is rapidly heading into chilly winter conditions, know that today here it was well into the mid 80's, with about a 5-8 kt breeze blowing in from the SE. It's very humid tho. The kind of humidity that has a person constantly in some state between drippy, sweaty or just an average sticky. I figured out that the people move slower down here just because it is harder to move through the air. I suppose one could try swimming movements but you'd look pretty goofy.

Once you get over the gecko-like ability to pick up napkins just by touching them, you have to also remember to keep an eye out for a certain mosquito that can KILL YOU! (HEY NOW- THIS was NOT in the brochure!!!!). Yes- here in the caribbean they have a version like West Nile but it is called Dengue. No worries, I got my spray... and a lighter (in case I see one of the little bastards).

This particular marina is off the main path and known as fairly quiet. A few nights during the week they feature bonus events for the marina tenants and anchored out cruisers. After this post I am off to "fish & chips" nite up at the cantina in an attempt to plug into the network a bit more. There will be beer. Check back often for updates.




4 comments:

ChipD said...

If you get the urge to follow the pointy end an island or two to the NE I've gotten great reports about Petite St. Vincent. Where you are looks pretty copacetic though. Is Paula there too?

flyingvan said...

Awesome---so glad you're there. Dengue is nasty business indeed, but there's people catching it in Florida right now too. Keeps sending pictures!

Unknown said...

@Chip: Alas, P could not come this trip. She has the responsible steady job to keeping her hands full at home and at this time it's best to keep a hold of those. Also- keep an eye out for R&L at the club and that will answer why I probably shouldn't take you up on your advise.

Tina said...

Glad you had a safe trip. How long will you be there? It looks beautiful :)