Monday, May 25, 2009

Know the way?

So here it is. The next event.
I have yet another new line added in my job description. A promotion- sort of.

Short story->
It came about from a need to transport product to a new owner. It's exciting because it may possibly be a market area yet untapped. Being untapped, the problem is that we have no dealers in this area yet. This complicates the standard shipping procedures quite a bit. By chance I was walking by the circle of decision makers that were trying to figure it out and merely mentioned the words "Just hook the darn thing up to my truck and I'll run it out there". The more they thought about it, the more it made sense.

That's how I became the company representative for the New England and Eastern Seaboard. I leave Tuesday. That's going to be one hell of a commute. I think I need to buy a jet. There might be a lesson to be learned here somewhere.

So it's been a flurry of activities based around this.
I currently have boat attached, freshly detailed and it gets shrinkwrapped tomorrow morning.
The truck gets a wash today, and loaded with gear. Looking at the massive bags of stuff Paula has staged to go I'm glad I have a big truck.


Google seems to draw a pretty good path. I am humored by the turn by turn descriptions.
6.Take the exit onto I-15 N toward BARSTOW
86.2 mi
7.Slight right at I-40 E (signs for Needles/I-40)
Passing through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas
Entering Oklahoma
1,215 mi
8.Slight right at I-35 N/US-62 E (signs for US-62/Tulsa/Wichita/I-35/I-44)
Continue to follow I-35 N
10.0 mi

For those that wish to follow along I have a tracker installed and went active this morning. The link below will take you right there so you can check up on us.
Where today?
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=kc6yng

Also try this one:
Progress Map
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?call=kc6yng&start=9999&geo=usa.geo

Delivery is targeted for Saturday so the trip out will be quick and we will be touring our way back. Depending on time and wifi connections I will post traveling notes here and maybe FB.

Should be fun. Looking at national weather shows that it will not be boring. I keep telling Paula that if I see a bunch of SUV's with weather probes mounted on the top(stormchasers) I'm gonna follow where they are going. If they are going really fast hopefully it won't be in the other direction.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking forward to the vicarious trip!

flyingvan said...

I think driving cross country builds up a big static charge that discharges while driving through Illinois. Whenever I drive through there there's huge lightning storms.

flyingvan said...

48 miles east of Twentynine palms, 69.0 MPH (towing a boat???) 3050 feet elevation. You've got a way to go. You're gonna see lots of trees.

- Rob said...

Thanks for putting on the tracker. I see you in New Mexico today. My customers do this sort of thing to track their field service workforce, so it is good to see examples of it at work.

Steve - where did you see the speed? I missed that in the displays.

Rob / YNF said...

Nice to watch you through AZ and NM, must be beautiful out there!

Safe travels.

Tina said...

I like your job. Lee would not. I can drive all day & be good. If I didn't have the kids & family stuff, I could have been a trucker, I think. Altho this looks like more fun...

Have a great trip & thanks for the tools to allow us to follow along!

:)

flyingvan said...

Rob--I opened the progress map one, the second link B posted. Right now he's pulling into Amarillo, Texas---wisely bypassing the tedious wide part of Texas. 67.0 MPH; glad he bled off a little speed there.

- Rob said...

I completely missed that line with the speed yesterday. It is very obvious now.

Driving a little under 60 mph through central Illinois. It is 10:30pm there - no wonder the progress is going so fast!

Tina said...

Hey! You could hop across the border & take a photo of my childhood home in Montreal!! You are so close!

There must be scads of mosquitoes by now - hopefully you're safe from them!!

Happy Trails!