Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Learning to duck... again.


11 hours on the first flight, about an hour on the second, a couple of hours waiting around in airports, and a two hour car ride after landing gets one to places like this. Day two and I'm still getting into a rythm and balance of the project but I thought I'd get in a crack at an update.

Either jetlag hasn't caught up with me yet, or somehow I managed to dodge the major effects of it. Maybe I got enough sleep on the plane on the way out? My internal clock is just a bit off but it is sorta because things are done at odd times here. Lunch is typically at 3 pm and dinner is not until 9pm. It doesn't even get dark till around 10.

The boat is tucked into a quiet marina in a quiet little part of the city. We are right off a boardwalk that has a bit of foot traffic, but not as much as one would think. Looking from the boat we see the backside of the "rock" but from this side it is not all that spectacular. When I get a chance I'll go run around and get a better picture. We are also surrounded by several builds of condos that are reportedly "winter homes" and appear vacant. For such a nice place one would think there would be people everywhere but it's not that way at all. It's kinda spooky.

I'd say the weather was great but that wouldn't do it justice. It's just downright awesome. The morning starts off very still and right when you think it's going to be a scorcher the breeze kicks in and makes things just on the warm side of perfect. Today it got hot enough that the sun exposed deck is a bit too hot to walk on so it has me taking every other step looking for shade. Most of the last couple of days I manage to get by without even donning flip-flops but today I dug them out to venture off the boat a bit. Nights are very comfortable wearing only shorts and light shirt (it's currently after midnight). Every now and then appears a gentle wisp of a breeze!

We dove right into the big project of "find the motor" yesterday and started unloading the pilot house of all the storage items tucked into the abyss down in there. Today was more of the same but we actually got out some of the major bulkhead and engine covers that surround the old motor. We are actually getting some dancing room in the pilot house now. Richard says it is going way faster than he thought it would. The main issue is that they developed a major exhaust leak the last time they were out and pretty much everything down in the pit is covered with black soot and it goes all the way back to the laz. Just carrying the items right off the boat gets us covered in the black mess. It's pretty ugly. I've been stationed on the dock cleaning everything and piling it all back up on deck as it dries. We look like a huge floating garage sale and I really could have made some extra cash several times today. The deck is a maze of gear, lines, parts and bags but we still have room for the deck chairs under the sun tents. Wandering around I haven't bashed my head yet but have knocked my hat off a couple of times on some close calls.

The neat part of my job has been that I am in direct line with all the other tenants on the dock as they pass. The range of nationalities is quite amazing and I'm working on matching the greetings in a handful of languages. It's kinda fun!

As always there are a few characters here on the dock that more than likely will get a page dedicated as the days go by.

Gotta go for now...

No comments: